What to pack in your hospital bag when you have a baby.
Packing for the hospital when it’s time to have your baby is exciting, and sometimes confusing. Whether you’re the ‘pack the kitchen sink’ kind of person, or just want to pack lean and light with only essentials, it’s important to make sure that you and bubs are covered with everything you need.
Here at Chicco Australia, we’ve put together to the ultimate Hospital Bag Checklist for when you head into hospital to have your baby.
Bag One: For Mum
- Your Medicare card and any other documentation that your hospital or birthing centre requires.
- Comfortable, loose clothing for when you’re not in the bath or shower. Some oversized t-shirts or a lightweight dressing gown.
- An outfit to leave the hospital in.
- A few sets of underwear and comfortable breastfeeding bras.
- Thongs to wear in the shower or wet areas.
- Comfy, loose pyjamas.
- Hair ties, bobby pins and a hairbrush.
- Shower essentials – facewash, body wash, shampoo and conditioner.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Maternity sanitary pads.
- Breast Pads – to support leaking, tender nipples in the early days.
- Hydrogel Pads – to help with the discomfort associated with milk engorgement.
- A breastfeeding support pillow.
- Nipple Shields – if you’re breastfeeding and baby needs help to latch to your nipple in the first few days.
- Lip balm.
- Food and drink supplies – to help maintain energy throughout labour.
- Music playlist with your favourite songs. Check with your hospital or birthing centre if they have a docking station or CD player.
- Your birth plan if you have one.
- Biodegradable plastic bags – to take soiled or dirty soiled clothes home in.
Bag Two: Mum’s Support Person
- Phone/camera and charger – special moments ahoy!
- Spare clothes and sleepwear (if you’re staying overnight).
- Boardshorts or swimwear if you’re in the birthing pool, bath or shower.
- A toothbrush, toothpaste, shower essentials and deodorant.
- Snacks – you’ll need your energy too!
And finally… the All-Important Bag Three: For Baby
- Three to four bodysuits.
- Three to four singlets.
- A soother. Each Chicco soother is designed with our exclusive PHYSIOFORMA™ feature, which helps to ensure a little one’s correct breathing and accompany the natural growth of their mouth.
- A hat/beanie.
- A car capsule or convertible car seat.
- Nappy bag.
- Nappies, wipes and nappy cream.
- Baby wash.
- A baby blanket.
However you plan to or end up giving birth, whether it’s natural or C-section, a pre-packed hospital bag will help you have a clear mind to focus on the task at hand, a safe arrival for bub and mum!
We wish you all the best for the next chapter of your lives.